English Language Arts
- Passionate, caring, knowledgeable, and inspirational teachers
- Instruction tailored to how each student learns and progresses
- Students learning together as a class and in small groups
- Blended learning that unites the best of face-to-face instruction with the best of technology
- Trusting relationships between teachers and students, solidified during face-to-face writing and reading conferences
- Students equipped with the strategies to achieve their goals while building their competence and confidence
- Engage in a range of collaborative discussions to build on the ideas of others and to persuasively express their own ideas.
- Read widely across genres, cultures, and time.
- Experience a range of texts, including works that span the classics to the contemporary classics, high quality nonfiction texts, and other works of exceptional craft.
- Reflect on the human condition and use literature as a tool to build empathy.
- Increase their depth of knowledge and skills by grappling with complex text and responding with sophistication in writing.
We believe that fostering a lifelong love of reading is essential. We offer rich classroom libraries, small-group activities in book clubs, and independent reading within the genres students find most interesting. Our goal is for students to identify as confident readers and writers.
Dr. Kara B. Douma
PK-12 Supervisor of English Language Arts
Morristown High School
50 Early Street
Morristown, NJ 07960